Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Review : Color Me hair mascara

     So, I have been dying to try the colorful ombre look, like Lauren Conrad's. BUT I wasn't sure if I wanted to do permanent color and then, I cut several inches off anyways (it was as long as or longer than LC's) because it was getting so hard to manage (because of thyroid issue - which I'm sure that will come up on here at some point). First of all, for those that do not know me (if there are any reading this), my hair is very dark brown, bordering on black, so the chances of ombre without bleaching or permanent hair color was very slim. My first attempt at this was trying Color Bug from Kevin Murphy, but it got on my clothes and it didn't show up very well. There are many other ways people have been doing it, though... I thought about using pastels, people have also used eyeshadow, and I read where you can buy very powdery pigment, but all of those just seemed like a huge mess. I even tried lightening the lower half of my hair with the blondest non-permanent hair color that I could and there was almost no difference - it was only visible to me.
     Then, on Sunday, I was walking around Green Hills with my friend, Emily, and we always stroll into The Cosmetic Market - a local business in the Nashville area. They sell products from some of the most popular beauty lines, as well as offer aesthetic services and spray tanning. It is one of my favorite places! And she and I are wondering around and... I spot them! Tubes of hair mascara! In every color I could want! I bought violet, teal, blue and magenta. And they also have them in natural hair colors, including 2 shades of lighter brown, auburn, and 3 shades of blonde. The natural colors are $10 and the others are $12 each. I thought about trying one of the blonde hair mascaras, but I figured I would use it up in a week. I had some store credit, so it was pretty reasonable. Plus, it would cost that much or more to have it done professionally.
     There is another line that carries hair mascara, Sultra, but they only off three colors, and they are $24 - twice as much... But Emily and I then went the mall, and of course, to Sephora, and it turns out, there is twice as much product in Sultra's tube. But I wanted all the different colors, so oh, well. If I'm not over the fad by the time the product runs out, I will try the Sultra's purple color.
     ... And they have worked pretty well for me. The only one I don't particularly care for is the magenta. I guess you could say it clumps a little. It isn't terrible, but the others have worked much better. My favorites are the violet and the teal - they look so, so awesome! And the violet isn't very noticeable, but it is noticeable enough and works perfectly for my hair. Also, I don't do every strand of hair, I do about a third of my hair. The colors don't stand out too much because of my dark hair color, so I don't feel the need to do all of it. And since I don't mind that the colors don't stand out, I only do the last two-three inches of the strand. It takes me about 15 minutes to do it, and I do get it on your hands, but it comes off my hands fairly easily, and I haven't had any problems with it bleeding. I am careful when I'm applying it so as not to get the color on anything.
And I have no idea why I'm so orange and shiny. Ugh. Ha. Oh, well.

3 comments:

  1. I heard about both hair mascara companies and I wanted to try some hair color to see if it works out, so you think Sultra would be a better pick cuz the ammount is more? Because if so, I'll choose that!:D Lol, and I love how the color me hair mascara looks so good and pops with your hair color. Does it stay good? Or does it get all messy and all over your clothes and everywhere? Because i've been ripped off and had that happen to me before. Not a fun experiment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, there!
      Actually, the Sultra had 2x or 3x the product, and it cost exactly the same by weight, so I'm not sure, but I liked the color selection better, and I just looked and Sultra hasn't added any others. And I have not had any trouble with getting it on my clothes, but I haven't worn white, just in case. And I do mist with L'Oreal Elnett hairspray after it dries, which that might have helped, but I'm not sure if that made a difference. ... I did, however, get it on my pillow case, which wasn't a big deal (to me), and it washed right out.

      Delete
    2. P.S. Thanks for the comment! It made my night! :)

      Delete